PRESIDENT OF FC ASTANA SAYAN KHAMITZHANOV IS THE BEST SPORTS MANAGER OF KAZAKHSTAN-2017
We often write about athletes, coaches, sometimes forgetting that the manager is also an important link in the success of a team or an individual athlete. Professional sports management is a relatively new concept for our sport, as the sphere of activity, this direction develops in our country only from the moment of Independence of Kazakhstan.
12 January, 2018
Reducing the popularity of a particular sport, poor results in international and domestic competitions are often associated not with the low qualifications of athletes, but with inability to correctly select coaches, doctors and rehabilitation specialists, inept work of a Press Secretary or PR manager, and in general - miscalculations of the first manager of sports club.
The sports journalists wrote about the long-suffering Kazakhstan football of the season of 2017 in a very gloomy manner, which is not surprising – this is the failure of the National Team of Kazakhstan under the leadership of Aleksandr Borodyuk in the qualifying tournament of the World Cup – 2018, this is an extremely weak game of club teams of Kazakhstan, and numerous scandals, related to our individual clubs. The only bright spot of our football is Astana, which gave us all not only numerous moments of joy of victories and pride for the country in 2017, but also a truly fantastic achievement, which we did not dream about several years ago. For the first time in the history of Kazakhstan football our club overcame the group stage of the UEFA Europa League and qualified to the spring stage of this prestigious tournament.
A huge merit in this achievement belongs, first of all, to the players of the club, the coaching staff headed by Stanimir Stoilov and the general sponsor of the club – the National Welfare Fund Samruk-Kazyna. But it is unlikely that the success of the club would have been so impressive, if it were not for the competent management of the club. 4 championship titles in a row, and qualification to the group stage of the Champions League, an incredible Europa League odyssey in the season 2017/18 are not a joke and that is extremely important for Kazakhstan football – covering the club’s budget with honestly earned money. For example, over the last three seasons, Astana has already earned over 25 million Euros for a successful performance in European club tournaments. In the Kazakhstan football community, it’s no secret that the success of the Football Club Astana is its leader – Sayan Khamitzhanov and, quite objectively, that it was the President of the club Sayan Khamitzhanov who won the open vote in the nomination “The Best Sports Manager of Kazakhstan-2017”, which were conducted by a popular specialized sports publication. 42% of respondents voted for Khamitzhanov and President of FC Astana beat such popular figures as Serik Sapiyev, Baitak Tursynbayev and Aleksandr Vinokurov. We contacted Sayan Zhaksygeldievich not only to congratulate him on winning the prestigious nomination, but also to ask about Astana on the eve of the matches of the 1/16 finals of the UEFA Europa League.
- Sayan Zhaksygeldievich, we congratulate you on your victory in the nomination “The Best Sports Manager of Kazakhstan-2017”! What does this award mean for you?
- Thank you for congratulations! First of all, it is the merit of our entire team, its coaching staff and the administration of the club. This award once again confirmed the correctness of our strategy for the development of the club.
- In connection with the early start of the new season, Astana is speeding up preparations and already at the first camp our club will play against top-level opponents. How did you manage to agree with the teams of this level? Matches with the Moscow Spartak or Krasnodar, it’s kind of a shock therapy for the players of Astana in order to the team continued to struggle in the Europa League without a swing?
- Astana has gained high prestige in Europe for the last three seasons and they reckon with us. The Russian clubs themselves expressed their desire to play with us, which was in line with our interest at the first camp to get involved in the work. The level of our opponents on the first training camp is indeed very high. Both Spartak, and Krasnodar do not need to be represented. Our third opponent in the Emirates training camp – Zilina, also, is strong. This club is the current champion of Slovakia.
- We can not but ask you about the hottest topic of the off-season period – transfers. Which of the Astana players will leave the team? For example, Kabananga?
- We want to be ready to approach the matches of the 1/16 finals of the Europa League against the Portuguese Sporting and it would be wrong to conduct a transfer policy to the detriment of club interests. On many of our players there is demand, for example, on Kabananga, about which you ask or on Twumasi or Shomko. However, we do not currently have any offers to buy our players, which would suit us and our players. Therefore, we intend to keep the squad in order to be able to play with Sporting on the upper limit of our possibilities, and strengthen for the future and try to qualify to the group stage of the European competitions in the summer.