Today the presentation of the new Head Coach of the Football Club Astana was held. The helmsman of the current Champion of Kazakhstan become the Ukrainian Roman Grigorchuk, previously known for his work in the Azerbaijani FC Gabala. Details in the material of the correspondent of the Republican Internet portal Sports.kz.
1 June, 2018
- As you know, at the beginning of the year Stanimir Stoilov headed the National Team of Kazakhstan, and from that moment we were forced to look for a new coach. The coach I want to introduce today is Roman Grigorchuk. Earlier we had agreements with him. Of course, we wanted this specialist to come to us earlier, but Grigorchuk had a valid contract with the club in Azerbaijan, so the signing of the contract had to be postponed. Roman Grigorchuk is an experienced specialist. We agreed with Grigoriy Babayan that before we approve the new Head Coach, he will temporarily perform the duties of the coach. Grigoriy Konstantinovich will remain in the club’s Coaching Staff and will be Grigorchuk’s right-hand man.
Why did we choose this specialist? First of all, he achieved serious results in Europe, several times entering his teams in the group rounds of European Competitions. And with FC Chernomorets made his way to the playoffs of the Europa League. The second reason – Roman Iyosifovich easily adapts to new countries and cultures, achieved success in different countries. We very much hope that in Kazakhstan he will win many trophies. Grigorchuk is an ambitious coach. He is aimed at winning the championship and successfully playing in European Competitions. We signed a contract for two years. Further – we’ll see. I am very happy to introduce the New Coach of the Astana team, - said the President of FC Astana Sayan Khamitzhanov.
- I am proud that I am the coach of Astana now. Thanks to the work of a huge number of people, Astana became recognizable in European football. This imposes a responsibility on us. The club is accustomed to win. This is exactly what my work will be directed at. It’s nice that there is interest from the media, - Roman Grigorchuk said.
- What tasks did the Top-management of the Kazakhstani club set for you? Will you invite to Astana players whom you worked with in previous clubs?
- The tasks are obvious – to win everywhere. As for the players, there is a good selection work in Astana; therefore, resorting to the help of my former players probably does not make sense.
- There was a talk about your leave from Gabala in winter. The media wrote that Astana offered you a lot of money.
- We had preliminary agreements, but the final decision was made only recently. As for money, - of course not. But, on the other hand, how to evaluate the fabulousness of money? Everything is reasonable. There are no overstated points.
- Is it difficult to accept a team without having conducted pre-season training with them?
- This is a question that I thought about a lot. You can talk for a long time about this topic. Now Astana is at the level when the team sets big tasks. It is important to set a game that will achieve high results. On the other hand, I do not see tension. You just need to work. I’m in the team that knows a lot. There is nothing ideal. There are moments for improvement. I just want to help Astana to continue winning. Of course, we will take steps to improve the game. Me and my team must grow every day.
- Can you compare Gabala and Astana?
- We worked hard and therefore we achieved great results in Azerbaijan. The defeat in the final of the Cup of Azerbaijan was painful for me. I find no sense in comparing Gabala and Astana.
- Is Astana a step forward for you?
- I believe that yes.
- How ready are you to bring Astana to the UEFA Champions League?
- Of course, I can say: “I’m ready,” but what will it change? To win something, a lot must coincide. Now the question of qualification to the Champions League has become more complicated, but this does not mean that we will not strive for this.
- What do you think about the upcoming friendly match between the National Teams of Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan?
- Forecasts are not my field. I rarely make a good shot in guessing. It will be an interesting match from the point of view of understanding, familiarization with the players.
- Are you familiar with the Head Coach of the National Team of Kazakhstan Stanimir Stoilov? Earlier, he said that this team can progress only if the club coaches will help him.
- I’m not familiar with this person, but I agree with his position. I myself would never have gone on to recommend something to the coach of the national team. I only think that we should prepare the players well, which can strengthen the national team.
- Grigoriy Babayan said several times that the club needs strengthening.
- I completely agree. I like how the scouting work is organized in FC Astana. The coach can only recommend someone. We will proceed from the decisions of the management. I think, within 10 days I will know more about the team. Now I can only say that the team needs to strengthen in three positions. There are great professionals working here, and I think that we will definitely approach this issue very seriously.
- Will matches with Kairat be of a principled nature for you?
- The Championship is won not in matches with Kairat. There are many examples where the fate of the title is decided not in face-to-face meetings. Often the team that smoothly passes the distance, without losing points in the matches with the clubs from the bottom of the standings becomes the champion.
- What challenges can you face in the Kazakhstan Championship?
- The difficulty is the big flights. Especially in summer period. This is complicated by a heavy schedule. Flights, the density of the schedule – it’s all not easy. It is clear that the team should be well-equipped, so that the coach had the opportunity to rotate. I know that there are problems with the quality of the fields, which, of course, is a huge challenge for the team that is considered a favourite.
Author: Anuar Abdrakhmanov