Antonio Rukavina: “It is very important that we won today”
Defender of the National Team of Serbia Antonio Rukavina, who joined Astana after the elimination of his National Team from the World Cup-2018, was pleased with the debut in the Kazakh club, the correspondent of Vesti.kz reports.
11 July, 2018
Coming to the capital of Kazakhstan in the squad of Villarreal, he noted that Astana is one of the best teams in Europe. Therefore, he easily exchanged the Spanish Championship for KPL. In the match against Montenegrin Sutjeska in the first qualifying round of the Champions League, Rukavina made his debut for Astana, noting that he wants a Champion’s title.
- This was my first match for Astana. I was at the match with Tobol, but did not play. It is very important that we won today. Of course, everyone expected that we would win with a difference of three or four goals. But even it’s a qualification, it’s the Champions League. Each match is complicated, every team wants to win. And it is important that we not only won, but also did not concede. Our task was to win without conceding. And I think that in Montenegro we will have different match, - said Rukavina.
- You played more like an attacking defender.
- Yes, because the game evolved so. Sutjeska came here to defend, and, of course, we had a lot of space to attack. But this is my usual position, which I like.
- You saw the match with Tobol, held a match of the Champions League, how do you like Astana this season?
- I’ve been here, and probably the last four or five years, I’ve heard a lot about Astana, because it’s always in European Competitions. Last year I was here with my former club. I am satisfied. But we must see how everything will develop. But I think that in the KPL we will become champions, and it is very important to qualify to the spring stage of European Competitions.
- You just returned from the World Cup, but in Europe the season has not yet begun...
- Yes, I thought about it before signing the contract. That I remain without vacations. But I chose this alignment. And I’m in shape, I’m ready.
- Who will win the World Cup?
- I would like Croatia to win. I have many friends there. But now it is difficult to guess the winner. Our team was close to the playoffs, but we were unsuccessful.
- Will you play in the next KPL match against Shakhter?
- Yes, sure. Everything is new for me, every day I learn something new about the league, about the country. Of course, there is a difference between the Spanish Championship and the KPL, but there are many Serbian players who help me.
What I like, every year Astana is the favourite to win the championship. And I want to win the title, because I have not had a championship in my career. There was a proposal to extend the contract with Villarreal, but the offer of Astana was better. I did not think what it’s like to go from the Spanish League to Kazakhstan. Because for me, Astana is one of the best teams in Europe.