Ivan Maevski: “We understood that we can’t lose points”
In an interview with the correspondent of the Republican Internet portal Sports.kz the midfielder of FC Astana Ivan Maevski spoke about the expectations of a match against the English Manchester United in the Group Stage of the Europa League.
16 September, 2019
- Ivan, your little comment after the match against FC Shakhter?
- Understood that we can not lose points, especially in matches at home. I think there were a lot of opportunities, but of course there were problems with the realization. As a result, it turned out that we strained to win. I don’t know if at least half of the points were scored, then there could have been many more goals. But, it should be noted that Shakhter played well. The key is we scored three points, this is the most important.
- Tomorrow the team will depart for England. What are your thoughts on the match against Manchester United?
- Expectations, like all have. Good match. Still, we will play against Manchester United in an excellent stadium. I hope everyone will come out and show their maximum game. We will try to achieve a positive result. We understand that it will be difficult, but we will try.
- Manchester United is a completely different level. Will there be changes in the preparatory process?
- Firstly, this has not happened yet. Today we played against Shakhter, so no one thought of Manchester United. No less important matches are in the championship now, nevertheless, the final segment of the season is going on. We had to play today, tomorrow we’ll recover, fly, and there we will already be preparing. I think the training session will be ordinary, full-time. It doesn’t matter if you play against Manchester United or Shakhter – preparation is usual.
- Didn’t you consult with Belarusian players like Timofey Kalachev and Aleksandr Gleb, who had previously met with Manchester United?
- I do not know. I do not emphasize teams. Well, Manchester United – we understand what kind of team this is, but asking for advice or something else – well, this is a kindergarten after all. We respect ourselves too. What advice can be? This is bullshit.
- Did not you have a childhood dream to play at Old Trafford?
- I had a dream to win the Champions League, while it remains a dream. Of course, it is nice to play in England, but I already played matches against good teams, now I have played in Wales. It was a regular match. It’s a little bit different that this is a chance to play in such a stadium. Yes, this is a status opponent, but this is just a game.
- What are your impressions of the match against Gareth Bale?
- This is a good football player, but not only Gareth Bale plays there. The whole team is playing. Yes, a good player, but I usually look at team actions. Plus, my opponents in the center of the field were different. And Gareth Bale plays in a different position. It makes no sense to emphasize him.