Dmitri Shomko: “It’s good that we won, now we will prepare for Manchester United to please our fans”
In an interview with the correspondent of the Republican Internet portal Sports.kz the defender of Astana Dmitri Shomko spoke about the victory over FC Shakhter from Karaganda in the national championship and preparations for the match against Manchester United in the Europa League.
16 September, 2019
- It’s good that we won, we go further, we will fruitfully prepare for the match against Manchester United to show good football and please our fans as much as possible. Moreover, the whole world will watch the match. This is a good advertisement for Kazakhstan itself and for Astana in particular.
- What are your personal anticipations from playing at one of the most famous stadiums in the world?
- Of course it’s great. I think this is the coolest thing for a football player. Probably, many dreamed of being there in childhood, and a childhood dream will come true. We’ll go there, but we won’t just walk around this field, but we will play and give ourselves for 100 percent.
- Is it worth believing that the match against Manchester United will be similar in content to the duel against Russia when the team defends itself with most of players?
- That is, there will be chances to keep the ball, to control?
- It is clear that control will come first. Yes, Manchester United is, no one argues, the favourite of our group, almost the entire team is assembled from stars. But stars are human beings too. They may make mistakes. We will play, and in the process will see what we can do.
- Many gave positive assessments of the Kazakhstan team for the match against Russia in Kaliningrad. Is it possible to be satisfied with just the content of the match?
- Well, how? 0:1 was on the scoreboard, we lost. It would be nice to hook at least a draw. And when you lose, to call this result a positive – I think this is not the case.
- Can you say that there was no luck against Russia?
- Of course, we had opportunities, moments in counterattacks. I think Russia did not expect this. They probably expected what would be like here – they will score 4 again and will rest on the field. But it didn’t work out that way. We were disappointed that we did not achieve a result in Kaliningrad. It would be nice if we could bring two points from two away matches.